Austin, Texas
4.1

Recently we had a landscape person build a small paved pathway beside our house. While doing that he accidentally damaged AT&T's fiber optic cable about a couple feet from our house that was buried about one and a half inches down (barely below the lawn line).

We called AT&T and they sent a crew to re-run the cable for us. About 10 days after we got our internet service restored.

In the following week we received a "Claim for Damages" from AT&T for $688.27 repair costs. I called them and mentioned that we were never informed by AT&T of the possibility of having to pay for any damage BEFORE THE REPAIR CREW WAS DISPATCHED AND DONE WITH THE SERVICE, nor were we given a choice not to perform the repair or to perform it at a later time. They simply lead us to think that there would be no cost for the repair and later on sent a bill.

Their claim is that it's a "state law" to call before you dig, but they will only mention this to you after you get a large bill on your hands with statements like: "This payment is due upon receipt, if payment is not received within 30 days further collection action will be taken. IF A PAYMENT FOR LESS THAN THE FULL AMOUNT IS RECEIVED, IT WILL BE APPLIED AS A PARTIAL PAYMENT".

What is truly questionable here is the company's intention of dispatching a repair crew with absolutely no mention that you might end up having to pick up the entire tab. Not a single mention to "call before you dig", or "this might cost you something", or "are you prepare to pay a $688 bill 30 days from now?".

If you happen to have your "buried" cable damaged (anything could do it since it's only about 1 and 1/2 inches down) you might be better off switching to the cable company that at least bury their cables deep enough not to be disturbed by superficial landscape working.

Product or Service Mentioned: Att Customer Care.

ATT Pros: That i thought i was being taken care of.

ATT Cons: Inaccurate information.

• At t U-verse Fiber Optic

Comments

Call before you dig. That's common sense and IT IS the law.

What kind of Jack Leg contractor did you allow on your property. Sue them for the damages and stop your silly whining. There's nothing that can be done for you or the other whiners who didn't do their due diligence. From 811 dot com I have hired a contractor or landscaper to do the digging project...

Be sure to check with your contractor or landscaper to make sure that the call to 811 will be made before digging begins – whether it means you making the call, or your contractor doing so.

Never let digging work begin without the call to 811! It’s not worth the risk.

I cut one on top of my waterline outside of the right of way and not on locator maps. I'm being sued for $15,000.

The same happened to me and I have not paid, collection companies are calling me...did you pay?

ATT Reviews