Fresno, California
3K views

Currently a wireless AT&T customer. I tried to sign up for Internet in my home on line to get the deal they advertised for $24.95 per month for 12 months. Spent at least a couple of hours on this and got nowhere. They buried the bit about the 250GM data usage limit in the legalease. Why do they even give you the option of a driver's license number if they can't use it? You get through this whole online process and then the bait and switch is revealed. If you need to call then you don't get the deal we offered you but we mandate that you to call us so the "deal" was never really available as advertised. Here's the text of the online chat:

AT&T product specialists are happy to assist you with your questions. Click below to begin your live text chat.

Chat representatives will not have access to your personal account. This service is provided to you under AT&Ts Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.

Info: Hello and welcome to AT&T, my name is Ela C.. I specialize in setting up new AT&T U-verse service. Please provide me with the complete address where you would like U-verse services connected.

Ela C.: Hello, how may I assist you today?

you: 1. Do I really see a monthly data use limit (250GB)?

you: 2. What if I move from the area? 3. Can I use my own wireless router with your equipment? I use it with Charter now.

Ela C.: Thank you for considering AT&T U- verse as your Internet service provider! I'd be happy to assist you with your questions regarding our services.

Ela C.: Yes. AT&T's residential DSL High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 150 Gigabytes ("GB") per month, and its residential U-verse High Speed Internet plans will have a usage allowance of 250 Gigabytes ("GB") per month. The usage allowance is the amount of data you can send and receive each month.

Ela C.: Since what you have is a router, you will still need a compatible U-verse modem for this service. You can connect your wireless router to the equipment that we will provide.

you: The data usage limit is a show stopper for me right now. Thanks for your time.

Ela C.: You can do a lot of things in 250GB. You can send and receive 10,000 emails, download/upload 4,000 photos a medium resolution photo to social media site like Facebook, download 3,000 songs MP3 songs, stream 5,000 one-minute YouTube video, watch 200 shows hour-long TV shows and stream 25 SD or 13 HD full length movies in 250GB.

Ela C.: In the following months, we will send you additional notices each month when your usage exceeds 65%, 90% and 100% of your monthly usage allowance. If you exceed your monthly allowance a second time, AT&T will send you a notice advising you that the next time you exceed your allowance - the third time - you will be billed $10 for each 50 GB of data over your allowance.

Ela C.: I just want to mention that all of our offers are time sensitive, so I cannot guarantee these offers will be available at a later date. If you would like to take advantage of our great promotions today, I will be happy to guide you through the order process. Shall we go ahead with your order now?

you: Still thinking - what if I move? What will it cost me to quit or relocate my service. Do I need a phone jack or cable type hook up?

Ela C.: For stand alone Internet service, the promotional rates will apply for 12 months with no term commitment. Since there's no term commitment if you place the order online, you have the option to keep the service any time you want or as long as you want.

Ela C.: You can move the service at the new address if the service is available at no cost.

Ela C.: You do not need working phone service to have stand alone U-verse Internet service. The signal will be sent over your existing phone wires. You will plug a phone cord from the wall outlet to your AT&T wireless gateway.

you: I'm checking my phone jacks now.

Ela C.: We take care of the outside wiring. We will be able to make a connection from our pole to the outside of your house without an extra charge. We will also activate the lines for free if you place the order online.

you: I do not appear to have phone jacks in my home. How much to install one?

Ela C.: I am sorry to hear that. A one-time charge of $149 for technician installation, including the phone jacks. You also have an option to contact your local technician to have the phone jacks installed if this will save you more.

you: So that makes the total one-time start up charge $249-Is that correct? I do have ATT wireless services. Can that result in any discount. Can I just put my order on hold until tomorrow?

Ela C.: The total one-time charge is $249 for technician installation and equipment fees. Yes, you can save your Cart if you'd like to have a record of the order you've started. Please click on "Save Cart" and enter your e-mail address.

Ela C.: Thank you for being a valued AT&T Wireless customer. Our customers who bundle wireless and Internet services enjoy the convenience of a single bill and streamlined account management. While we currently do not offer discounts on combining your wireless and Internet services, you can still enjoy the benefits of bundling.

Ela C.: The one-time charges will reflect on your first bill, so, you may not even have to make a payment today.

you: It's not about today. I just want to know the total one time charges I'm going to incur. If I put it on my current ATT account the same, one year discounted monthly charge will still apply right?

Ela C.: Thank you for waiting. I'll be with you in just a moment.

Ela C.: You won't be able to process adding Internet service under your wireless account as this will be considered as a new account. You will still qualify for the promotional rate of the plan you have selected for 12 months.

Ela C.: When you are done with the selection, please make sure that you enter your wireless number on the "Can Be Reached" number found in Account Setup page to bundle your wireless service.

you: I'm not getting this - I 1st message says it's a new account then second message says put my wireless number to bundle? Help me understand-just want to get this right without unpleasant surprises. Thanks.

Ela C.: This will be a new account for Internet. However, you can get consolidated bill for Internet and wireless services if you will enter your wireless number found on the Account Setup page if you are ready to order Internet service.

you: I think I'll just go ahead and do this. Will let you know if I have further questions as I navigate the website

Ela C.: I will be happy to keep this chat window open should you have any questions as you go through the order process.

you: Got this message. I entered the correct info.

you: Alert We can't complete your AT&T U-verse order online. For assistance, please call a Customer Service Representative at 1-877-252-1717 You can save your Cart if you'd like to have a record of the order you've started.

Ela C.: Oh, I am sorry to hear that you received a message saying that you cannot complete the order. To verify, did you enter your SSN or Driver's License number?

you: I entered my SSAN. My employer does not allow use of my SSAN

you: Sorry. Goofed. I entered my driver's license number. My employer does not allow use of my ssan

Ela C.: In order to comply with current legislation and to protect both you and AT&T, we do perform a credit check prior to processing your order for service. First we will do an internal check to see if you have had previous service with us and to verify that your account is in good standing. If we have no past history with you, we will then do an external credit check using Equifax. This check will show up as an inquiry on your credit history.

Ela C.: If you enter a driver's license number, the credit check does not validate online

you: So now what do I do? If I call the number do I loose the online discount? Why can't you check my payment history with ATT since I've been a customer for at least 10 years I think?

Ela C.: I would recommend that your enter your SSN to see if you can proceed with the order process.

Ela C.: Allow me to ease your mind about that. This web site is fully encrypted (128 bit) and your information is protected and respected by AT&T. If you look at the web page address you will see https, which indicates a secure server. You can also see the lock at the bottom of your browser.

you: NO GO!!! Guess we've wasted both our time.

Ela C.: I apologize but as much as I would like to help you with your concern, our chat department only has the capability to assist new customers while they go through the online process. Due to security reasons, we do not have the capability to access your account.

Ela C.: If you call to place the order, a deposit may be required for you to be able to get the service as we won't be able to verify your credit check as this is a new account.

Ela C.: Also, you will be charged of the activation fee.

Ela C.: Do you have other questions regarding AT&T service that I can help you with today?

you: Guess I'll keep Charter for now. It's too bad - I would have liked to have made this change and I really hate that I wasted my time. I realize this is not your fault but please pass on this system problem to a decision maker who cares as it seems crazy ATT can't do business with a current customer without a ssan. Thanks.

Ela C.: I wish there could be a way for me to assist you other than this. Have a great night and take care!

Ela C.: Thank you for chatting with AT&T today. It has been a pleasure assisting you. Should you need further assistance, please click on the chat button to chat with us again. AT&T appreciates your business. You may click the "Close" button on the chat window to close this chat.

Chat session has been terminated by the site operator.

Product or Service Mentioned: Att Phone Service.

Comments

You are an ***. The At&t rep did everything she could to help you.

SSN is standard for a check check. If you were trying to prove what a *** you are, mission accomplished!

So what is your point exactly, the guy bent over backwards to help you and all you had to do was enter your ssn. He gave you the option to call, it was like Burger King have it your way....you just wanted to complain and be unreasonable.

You are why good people won't do these jobs for long. Why take abuse from jerks?

Your an ***, why are you pissed because YOU didn't want to enter your social? Have you never tried to get a cell phone?

Or any other cable provider? They ask for these same things, also I noticed the ATT rep was extremely helpful to you and answered all of your questions with clarity! What are u "pissed" about?

That you have bad credit? HA!

Dear Anonymous, I’m so sorry you feel that way. Can you send me an email directly to attDavidO@att.com with your name in the subject line, ATTN: David O., and “PissedConsumer”?

Please include your full name, account holder’s name, concerns, account information, and a good contact number. I will check for you.

I work 8-5 cst. Thank you, David ~ AT&T Social Media Manager