Below is a transcription of my chat with AT&T. I had lowered my plan minutes, to be effective with the next billing cycle. Although it wasn't effective immediately, it seemed to remove my messaging plan completely. I had to add a new messaging plan, which I wanted to make effective for the future date when I thought all the plan changes were taking place. I initiated a chat with AT&T Support to confirm.

In the process of the conversation I asked about the status of changing my phone number (see chat below). I had moved to a new state over 2 years ago but AT&T makes it nearly impossible to change your number when it's in a different 'market'. Originally I was told I couldn't without starting an entirely new account, which would mean losing my grandfathered unlimited data plan - no way. They also want to charge a $36 fee.

It took approximately 6 hours on live chat and 2 hours on the phone, over the course of 2 days, to change my phone number. It was infuriating and by far the WORST SERVICE EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE.

P.S. after the phone number debacle, it was discovered that I had in fact lost my unlimited messaging plan, and was left with NO messaging plan, after making changes that were supposed to take effect on a FUTURE date. I had to be transferred to AT&T Tech Support (the one & only bright spot in this - Shannon is awesome!) to troubleshoot and fix my messaging.

Thank you for your patience! Your AT&T Representative will be with you shortly.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Mark Karlo Lopez'

Mark Karlo Lopez: Thank you for chatting . I'm Mark and I can help you change your plan. Are you logged in to your online account?

Me: yes

Me: I just changed the plan (lowered the minutes)

Me: but I think by doing that, our unlimited texting was removed (?)

Mark Karlo Lopez: Let me check on that one.

Mark Karlo Lopez: Thank you for waiting. It shows here that you don't have the unlimited texting feature anymore.

Me: Ok. So then I just need to add it back?

Me: On the Add or Change Services screen, I see $30 Family Messaging Unlimited or $20 Messaging Unlimited. What is the difference?

Mark Karlo Lopez: For the Family Messaging Unlimited, your family can enjoy and share the unlimited texting and for the $20 Messaging Unlimited, its only for 1 line.

Me: ok

Me: so since I made my plan change effective for 11/24, should I make this service effective 11/24 also?

Me: I should have my old family unlimited until 11/24 right?

Mark Karlo Lopez: Yes, that's correct. You can have it effective on 11/24 also.

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: Aside from managing your account online, you can also manage it using your device. You can download our myatt app if you don't have it yet.

Me: Ok, I have it

Me: while we are chatting can you please check on the status of the phone number changes for my account?

Mark Karlo Lopez: Sure.

Mark Karlo Lopez: Can you please tell me your new number?

Me: I believe the one that got reserved is 407-497-7821

Mark Karlo Lopez: Thank you. That number is already reserved under your account.

Me: Ok, so when will it take effect?

Mark Karlo Lopez: If you have the device right now, I can go ahead and refer you to our Credits and Activation department so that we can activate that number.

Me: Ok that's fine

Mark Karlo Lopez: I just want to make sure , are we going to activate it right now?

Me: yes please

Me: Will the other line new number go into effect now too?

Mark Karlo Lopez: yes, as long as you have the device for the other number.

Me: yes, I do. Can you confirm that number?

Mark Karlo Lopez: I'm sorry . For security reason, I won't be able to tell you but if you know at least the last 4 digits, I can verify it for you.

Me: ok I have 407-496-6830

Mark Karlo Lopez: That's correct.

Me: Ok please activate the new numbers. How will this effect my account login?

Mark Karlo Lopez: Is your wireless number your log in ID?

Me: yes

Mark Karlo Lopez: I see. You can just change your log in ID. Let me walk you through.

Me: ok. I think I can figure it out. So it won't change until I change it, correct?

Mark Karlo Lopez: Yes, that correct. Let me just send you an email on how to change your user id, okay?

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: May I have your email address please?

Me:

Mark Karlo Lopez: I just sent it. Please let me know if you received it.

Me: ok not yet

Mark Karlo Lopez: I see. I already sent it and you will get it in just a few minutes.

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: Now, let's go ahead and activate your line. Please bear with me.

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: I will now coordinate with our Credits and Activation Department. Please stay on this chat . :)

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: Thank you for waiting. I'm now speaking with our Credits and Activation Department and they just need to verify some information. Please stay on this chat.

Me: ok

Mark Karlo Lopez: By the way, have you received the Terms & Conditions for your new numbers? It was sent to your email when you requested for your new number.

Me: nope, I did not get anything

Me: my main question was to ensure that nothing else would change on the account but the phone numbers and I was assured that is correct.

Mark Karlo Lopez: I see. May I ask, where did you get your new numbers?

Me: I spoke to an agent on the phone Saturday and I chose my number from options he gave me, and my husband did the same

Me: he then said there was a system problem and would call me back. He called back that evening and said there was still a system issue and he would confirm once the numbers were changed this week

Mark Karlo Lopez: I see. I just spoke with Credits and Activation Department and in order for us to activate your new numbers, they need to do a credit check. Would that be fine with you?

Me: We are already existing customers. We don't need to do a credit check. This is not changing anything with our contract or account, correct?

Mark Karlo Lopez: A credit check is needed to activate new lines as well.

Me: We are not activating new lines. We are changing our phone numbers due to relocation. There is no reason for AT&T to make it this difficult for a customer to do this. It should not take days. No one on the phone told me anything about the need for a credit check.

Me: If you can't get this done, have a manager call me.

Mark Karlo Lopez: One moment please.

Mark Karlo Lopez: I'm so sorry for the very long wait. My manager now will coordinate with you. What's the best phone number to reach you?

Mark Karlo Lopez: One moment please. I'll connect you now to my manager.

One moment while I transfer the chat to 'Manager - Jerry de la Rosa'.

Welcome! You are now chatting with 'Manager - Jerry de la Rosa'

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Hi Mark! Nice to see you in chat with us.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I understand you have some issues with activating the reserve lines?

Me: I am trying to change my phone number and my husband's. It has been an extremely long and difficult process. I have no idea why.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I'm sorry to hear that . Let me check what I can do on my end.

Me: Ok. I've already spent an hour and a half on this chat. It's a bit ridiculous that after someone relocates they can't just make a simple phone call to AT&T, choose a new number and get it changed over. The amount of time I spent Saturday and now today is absurd.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Sorry for the long wait. , I can go ahead and change the number on my end as there were miscommunication that took place in your account.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Do you want to have a TN area code?

Me: You're kidding right?

Me: I live in FL. I already chose the new number and it is reserved. My husband's new FL number is reserved also.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: If you're just gonna be changing the number into a FL number, we don't need to add additional numbers in your account.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: We can change your current number right now into a FL number.

Me: ???????????????????????????????

Me: is that not what I told Mark an hour and a half ago?????

Me: what part of that got missed in this entire conversation?

Me: I have repeatedly stated what needs to be done

Me: I am honestly questioning AT&T's competency at this point.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Remember that representative that assisted you on Saturday?

Me: yes

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Okay, as you told earlier the representative had system issues on that day. Instead of changing the number, there were lines that was added in to your account.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Which was supposed not to be the process.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: That's why I'm explaining it to you right now . That I'll go ahead and change the number for the two lines in your account.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: And removed the reserved lines as it is not necessary to have those numbers in your account.

Me: Ok, I get that a mistake was made Saturday. However when I stated in this chat "while we are chatting can you please check on the status of the phone number changes for my account?" the agent here should have recognized I was not talking about adding lines, and taken a closer look

Me: this could have been caught much sooner in this conversation

Me: also, are you telling me the numbers we selected Saturday will not be able to be our new numbers? I do not want to go through the selection process again.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: My apologies for the disconnect between you and representative.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa:

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I can go ahead and check if the numbers will still be available when we generate the set of numbers right now.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: The line 8014 will have the new number of 4074977821.

Me: ok

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: , are you gonna be having an Orlando address?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: As the system will not allow to accept the cross market number change.

Me: I'm not sure what you are asking. I have had an Orlando area address for 2+ years.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Can I have the zip code that you want to have for the area code of 407?

Me: does this determine what city/state is on caller ID when I call someone?

Me: 32801

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Yes . That's right.

Me: ok 32801 for both

Me: Jerry how much longer is this going to take?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: We already changed the first number.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I am just working on the second one.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I am sorry for the long hold.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Thanks for waiting, .

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Everything is all set now

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: The new numbers will be 4074966830 in replacement for the line 8014.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: The new number for 4074966836 will be for the line ending on 8654.

Me: NO

Me: I did not authorize those numbers.

Me: you told me the number would be 4074977821 for line ending in 8014

Me: you never should have selected a different number without my authorization

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Currently the 7821 is no longer available .

Me: And why didn't you tell me?

Me: and let me select a different one?

Me: the number 407-496-6830 was supposed to be for the line ending in 8654

Me: this is completely unacceptable. I want a manager to call me now.

Me: after 3 hours, these are not numbers I selected or authorized.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I can go ahead and retrieve the previous numbers in your account.

Me: I want someone to call me right now. I am not continuing to handle this through chat.

Me: I want a manager.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Then I will let some one call you.

Me: make sure it is a manager please and make sure they are aware of this entire chat

Me: I am not repeating 3 hours worth of conversation and re-explaining it all.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I am the Manager .

Me: I get that, but you still couldn't get this done

Me: I am totally dissatisfied

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Just to confirm would you like to revert back your old number?

Me: why would you ever change someone's number to a DIFFERENT number than you told them it would be?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Let me know now so I can do it.

Me: Yes and please advise how long it will take.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I'll have some one call you after 3 hours

Me: Where are you? I am not taking a call at 2 am.

Me: Someone needs to call me now.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Okay.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I will call you now.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: You may close this chat to end our session.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Can you please turn off and turn back your phone to refresh it?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I successfully put back your old numbers back.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Are you still with me on this chat, ?

Me: Yes. I would love to know how you could do that in 30 seconds but took 3 hours to change the numbers to begin with?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: The process of changing back the number easier since the old numbers are already available in your account.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Would you like us to reprocess the number change? We will select for the available numbers and you will choose from it. No changes will be made unless you will confirm it, .

Me: I am not doing anything more via this chat. It has been a complete waste of time. If you can't call me, then please give me the name and direct number of a manager that I can call tomorrow.

Me: that will be there at 9 am EST

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Okay, we will call you back tomorrow at 9am EST.

Me: who will call me? I'd like their name and a direct number.

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: I am sorry but we do not have direct number, I will personally call you back tomorrow.

Me: so if it's you who will be calling, is there a reason you can't call now?

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Can you try to turn off the device

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: What line do you have now?

Me: I've already tested via text. It's the old number ending in 8014

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Is the device turned off now?

Me: no

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: Can you turn off the device and power it back on

Me: ok done

Manager - Jerry de la Rosa: , Did you hear me?

Me: yes

Product or Service Mentioned: Att Service Transfer.

Comments