Att - New Directv "Texas State Cost Recovery Fee". On Jan. 2017 bill.

19 of 4411 Att reviews

I was told that this $ 6.39 charge on my bill was for them to recover some of their tax cost to be in business in the state of Texas.Also I,m having to pay $ 3.63 extra for a "Regional Sports Fee", for sports channels that were in my package, something about how it is in Texas.

I've never had a recovery fee on any net work before. Even on a cel phone that fee is just a few cents per phone on AT&T, their parent company.

To get out from under this mess it would cost $ 320.00.As fast as I can check out the other services and compare getting out and breaking even with another service at a cheaper rate for same length of time I will try it.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Coverage Area
Style and Design

• What I liked
      No items
  • What I disliked
    • Unhappy
    • Incompetency and training of customer service staff

Reason of review:
Att Switch To Att Deal
Review category
Telecommunications
review #988338 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Att? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
19 of 4411 Att reviews
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

1 day ago #1272413 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I have Directv service and a charge of $2.73 appeared on my January 07th statement, here's what I found out what the charge is for:
According to a State of Texas Comptroller notice, Texas businesses may charge customers a cost-recovery" fee in order to recoup the Texas franchise tax the State of Texas collects from businesses owners. While businesses who charge customers a Cost-Recovery fee must be careful to use specific "recovery fee" wording, so as to not imply the charge is a direct state tax on consumers, they are, in effect, passing along the Texas franchise tax the state collects from them.
Many companies simply work the cost of the Texas franchise tax into product margins, but the Texas state comptroller says a specific recovery fee may be charged with the explicit purpose of recovering the tax expense.
Comptroller website: A company choosing to bill customers a Recovery Charge may explain to its customers that the charge is made in order to recoup money paid by the company for taxes imposed on it. The company may not, however, represent the charge as a tax imposed directly on the customer. To this end, the Recovery Charge must not appear in the "Government Fees and Taxes" (or similar section) of the customer's bill, invoice or contract. Further, the company should disclose that the Recovery Charge is not a tax the company is required to collect from its customers by law.
The Texas franchise tax applies to all business entities except sole proprietorships
... Show more

2 days ago #1271969 San Antonio, Texas, United States

Mine is over $8.00 and I noticed they are taxing it. I am only third month into this and thought I would be locked into a contract that would not change in cost, in return if I tried to cancel early would pay a hefty fee. They are being allowed to increase my bill and disguise it as necessary fees. Customer service has no clue about this and tells me they are helpless.
Please put this all over the internet, this may just be the beginning.

Jan 14 #1270856 Elgin, Texas, United States

I also had a Texas State Recovery Fee on my Direct TV bill. Is this going to be a monthly charge? Also, in March, we will also be subjected to a FCC Recovery Fee.
What the ***? I am also subjected to a $3.00 monthly "Whole Home Service" charge even though we only use one television in the whole house.

Lee Brittain

Jan 13 #1270433 Beaumont, Texas, United States

Not at&t customer, have to pay a $5.16 texas state recovery tax
for directv bill. Why charge a tax for at&t? Bill too high & service is just fair.

1 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.